Technical Economical Feasibility Project
The project concerns the construction of the new tramway line within the city of Bolzano and aims at defining the objectives and characteristics of the intervention, through the identification and analysis of all possible alternative design solutions. The grid of solutions envisages the connection of the railway station of the South Tyrolean capital with the S. Maurizio hospital and the residential settlements along Viale Druso, by means of a route that runs through the historical centre up to the terminal of Ponte Adige station, specifically designed to guarantee a future connection to the railway network and a possible extension to Oltradige.
The study considers the new line as an infrastructural, technological and service platform for the entire urban area of Bolzano, which can guarantee:
- a transport system with very high intermodal accessibility in terms of:
– Integration with the railway system at the Ponte D’Adige terminal, thanks to an arrangement of the spaces that favours wrapping and to an operating model that minimises interchange issues, with a view to improving the user experience;
– Integration with the future interchange car park across the river, thanks to the construction of a pedestrian walkway that connects it directly to the tram terminal;
– Creation of interchange nodes for “last mile” movements using innovative mobility services: micro-mobility and sharing mobility. In this case, the nodes in Via Merano, Piazza Adriano and Piazza Vittoria are configured as real mobility smart hubs with a “hinge” role between the surface public transport services, the newly established mass rapid transit service and the innovative transport services in rapid evolution and diffusion.
- a traffic monitoring system, connected to the traffic light regulation system (Urban Traffic Control) and to the public transport stops;
- a traffic control system, based on the traffic light infrastructure, allowing the implementation of policies for the regulation of private traffic and public transport.
The project intervention carried out by the JV led by NET proposes the realisation of an integrated infrastructural corridor, with the following characteristics:
- an innovative transport system without overhead contact line (catenary free), to minimise the impact of the overhead power line in areas of high historical, architectural and landscape value;
- no longer separate road and tramway, but a new spatial organism able to enhance the elements of identity and quality present in the urban fabric of Bolzano;
- a tram line which will reconnect the urban fabric and promote the redevelopment of the existing context in the suburban areas of the city, connecting them more effectively to the historic centre and its services.
The passage of the new tram line in the centre of Bolzano is a fundamental opportunity for the reorganisation of the road space, assisted by an appropriate redesign of the traffic patterns of private transport.